Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thoughts on final rehearsal before tech

Hi friends! Becky here.

So let me say up front that I was orginally "scheduled" to blog the first week of rehearsal but since I decided on that first day that I would secretly live in backwards world for a while I decided that first meant last. And besides I have actually written tons of entries...unfortunately none of you have the login and password to the blog inside my head.

Before I continue on about BBWSF I have to just say that I am thrilled that is my 3rd Dog and Pony DC show! With a 4th (Separated at Birth in the Spring) and 5th (a version of Medea that Lorraine and I have been musing about since Cymbeline) in the works.... These 3 conspiritorial ladies have become dear friends and I feel pretty lucky and blessed to be able to do such fun, challenging and inspiring work with them.

Anyways I digress. I feel giddy. Maybe it's the glass of wine that I am sipping right now but I started feeling this about 2 hours ago. It was like a wave of fun and pride that was sweeping over me. (Starting as a funny feeling in my pants...you know what I am talking about...right? Then you really need to see the show, damnit!)

In all seriousness though.... I had been absent from rehearsals the past two days because I was in school - actually this part I am going to take a minute and shout:

"I WAS TAKING SOME OF THE FINAL CLASSES OF MY CAREER AS A MASSAGE THERAPY STUDENT - I AM GRADUATING, FINALLY!!!!" I shout for two reasons - I have major senioritis and after 2 years of school I feel I deserve an all caps shout.....AND once I take that final test I need clients! So email me at punkiepeters@gmail.com.

And back to BBWSF. So, I was away for two days. And I will be honest and say that the last time I was there Lorraine, director, gave us a rousing and honest speech about...well, the fact that we needed to step up our game and stop being such girls! (She still doesn't get that well...we can't do much about that last part...well, not without some moola and a good doctor :) ).

Anyways....the speech was I think exactly what we all needed. Because I have to say that tonight was AMAZING. I sat there after my act (by the way I am amused by the fact that for a 10 min act I think it will take me over an hour to get ready!) ....so i sat there and watched the acts and the energy, talent and pure female ooomph and pizazz and I was grinning from ear to ear. These women are tough, creative, innovative, intelligent and sexy. And that's just the director and stage management team!

Really I am in pure awe. I raise my half full wine glass (waiter!) to each of my cast mates (onstage and off) and say Thank You and you are AMAZING! I look forward to the next couple weeks. And beyond.

This is what I have learned over the course of this show - women are amazing. I have always been guarded around women b/c well in some cases we can be real sh*ts to each other but I what I have been reminded in this room os that we also need each other - a lot! I need them. (And I hope that doesn't put us over the "gay" line --- it's a rehearsal thing please don't be offended.)

With that and that the fact that I need a refill....I say COME SEE the show! Stay and cheers with us afterwards.


*** Oh and in case any men (esp our two male designers who are equally amazing - Colin and Neil) feel like they are left how...don't worry - I already like you. I have always found men interesting and wonderful...but you gotta explore once in a while, right? Tee hee hee

No comments:

Post a Comment