Friday, July 17, 2009

Opening and Scripter-er-ing...

From Nicole:

We're open! Congratulations to all! Before you even think about reading what I'm about to write, read this review: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/fringe/2009/07/17/hip-shot-bare-breasted-women-sword-fighting/

I love this review. I am so proud of us.

If you've already come to the show, or if you know me or the process at all, you know that I am the Assistant Director/"Scripter-er." Scripter-er. That is a word that Wyckham made up.

I teach playwriting for a living, so obviously I spend some time thinking about the role of the playwright. When Lorraine and Wyckham approached me about Bare Breasted Women Sword Fighting, I didn't want that title. Because playwright, to me, said "owner," "origin," and "master" of the text. Which is not who I am in this process. So I'm a scripter-er instead.

Being something of a notorious control freak, you might think I'd have trouble with all this collaboration stuff. But I'm learning all the time what the art is: sifting through the collected words of these women (thanks Amanda and Alexis for doing the typing!!) and shaping them into pages.

I'm fascinated by the way this works. Charity says something hilarious, off the top of her head, and then I make her say it every time we do that scene. Except maybe one time she'll "mess up" her lines, and whatever she says will be even more hilarious, and I'll throw out the old lines. Or Sara yells a joke from the audience, and that becomes the text. Or I make a joke about French that makes Kelly laugh, and I get to write it into the show. And on and on and on.

I know I had a lot of power as the person who controlled what was physically printed on paper. I'm humbled by that. I kept trying to submit to everyone else's creativity. I was shy about writing something I hadn't said out loud in rehearsal, but at the same time I felt supported by a cast and crew that I knew would keep me honest.

What a cool way to be a playwright. It all starts by admitting that I don't know everything. Once I admit that, I get to have help. Girl, I love help.

See the show now, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment